Thirty-six educators have finished AASA’s Urban Superintendents Academy programs, and they will be recognized at a ceremony on Thursday evening, Feb. 14, at the association’s 2019 National Conference on Education in Los Angeles.
Of the total, 24 were part of the AASA training academy managed by Howard University with the other 12 participating in the association’s academy run by University of Southern California.
The academy is a cross-institutional partnership that offers a dynamic approach to urban superintendent preparation and certification. AASA has launched distinct partnerships with Howard University in Washington, D.C., and USC in Los Angeles to bolster the effectiveness of school district leadership in our nation’s urban areas.
Through the Urban Superintendents Academy, AASA brings together the most effective and inspiring thought leader practitioners to serve as instructors, mentors and presenters.
The AASA/Howard University Urban Superintendents Academy cohort graduates are:
• Omolara Akin-Taiwo, graduate student, Howard University, Washington, D.C
• Morcease J. Beasley, superintendent, Clayton County Public Schools, Jonesboro, Ga.
• Dana Bogle, vice president, leadership development, Teach for America, Washington D.C.
• Yolanda M. Cargile, superintendent, Hickman Mills C-1 School District, Kansas City, Mo.
• Michael T. Conner, superintendent, Middletown Public Schools, Middletown, Conn.
• Derrick Lamarr Dunlap, principal, Rochdale Early Advantage School, New Rochelle, N.Y.
• Anthony Edison, Sr., superintendent, Posen-Robbins School District 143-5, Posen, Ill.
• Benjamin Edmondson, executive vice president, High Scope Educational Research Foundation, Ypsilanti, Mich.
• Kelvin Edwards, Sr., deputy superintendent, Franklin City Public Schools, Franklin, Va.
• Domonique Garland, graduate student, Howard University, Washington, D.C.
• Chaz Gipson, graduate student, Howard University, Washington, D.C.
• LeTrecia Gloster, executive director, school support and improvement, Metro Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, Tenn.
• Bernice Gregory, chief, human capital management officer, Dekalb County, Dekalb, Ga.
• James L. Henderson, superintendent, Holmes County Consolidated School District, Lexington, Miss.
• Tenika Holden-Flynn, graduate student, Howard University, Washington, D.C.
• Patrick Jean-Pierre, assistant district director, recruitment, retention and diversity, Schenectady City School District, Schenectady N.Y.
• Felicia Jones, director, education programs, Martha’s Table, Washington, D.C.
• Heather Lamb, adult academic coordinator, Virginia Beach City Public Schools, Virginia Beach, Va.
• Anthony Lewis, superintendent, Lawrence Public Schools, Lawrence, Kan.
• Jubria Lewis, graduate student, Howard University, Washington, D.C.
• Brandon Martin, coordinator, career and technology education, Virginia Beach Public Schools, Virginia Beach, Va.
• Nicole McDowell, director, alternative programs and charter schools, Racine Unified School District, Racine, Wis.
• Terry Nelson, director, curriculum and instruction, Hancock County School District, Sparta, Ga.
• Veronica Diane Perkins, chief academic officer, Little Rock School District, Little Rock, Ark.
• Mini’imah Shaheed, chief schools officer, KIPP Metro Atlanta Schools, Atlanta, Ga.
• Keith Simmons, chief of staff, Bibb County School District, Macon, Ga.
• Darrin Slade, assistant superintendent, school leadership, Kansas City Public Schools, Kansas City, Mo.
• Andrea St. John, graduate student, Howard University, Washington, D.C.
• Tommy T. Welch, principal, Meadowcreek High School, Norcross, Ga.
• Stacey M. Wilson-Norman, chief academic officer, Cumberland County Schools, Fayetteville, N.C.
The AASA/USC Urban Superintendents Academy cohort graduates were:
• Jeanette Rodriguez-Chien, assistant superintendent, San Diego County Office of Education, San Diego, Calif.
• Roxane Fuentes, superintendent, Berryessa Union School District, San Jose, Calif.
• Rupak M. Gandhi, superintendent, Fargo Public Schools, Fargo, N.D.
• Antoine Hawkins, assistant superintendent, Bassett Unified School District, La Puente, Calif.
• Kimberly Mackey, executive director of elementary education, Allentown School District, Allentown, Pa.
• Bryan McGraw, superintendent, North Pocono School District, Moscow, Pa.
• Shawnterra Moore, superintendent, South San Francisco Unified School District, South San Francisco, Calif.
• David Parker, superintendent, Forest Grove School District, Forest Grove, Ore.
• C. Michael Robinson Jr., educational consultant, Strategic Achievement, LLC, Thibodaux, La.
• Andrew Schwab, associate superintendent, learning and innovation, Union School District, San Jose, Calif.
• Jeffery T. Studebaker, superintendent, Madison Consolidated Schools, Madison, Ind.
• Robert Valles, associate superintendent, human resources, Oxnard Union High School District, Oxnard, Calif.