Three superintendents in Illinois, Maine and Michigan and two central-office leaders in Florida and Georgia are the finalists for AASA’s 2019 Women in School Leadership Awards.
The winners of the two awards will be announced the 2nd General Session of the AASA national conference in Los Angeles on Friday morning, Feb. 15.
The finalists in the central-office/principal category are:
• Marie Izquierdo, chief academic officer, Miami-Dade County Public Schools, Miami, Fla.; and
• Tanzy Kilcrease, associate superintendent, Bibb County School District, Macon, Ga.
The finalists in the superintendent category are:
• Wanda Cook-Robinson, superintendent, Oakland Schools, Waterford, Mich.; and
• Courtney Orzel, superintendent, Lemont-Bromberek Combined School District 113A, Lemont, Ill.
• Betsy Webb, superintendent, Bangor School Department, Bangor, Maine
The awards recognize the exceptional leadership of active, front-line female administrators.
Candidates are judged based on leadership in meeting the learning needs of students, personal and organizational communication strength, constant professional improvement of knowledge and skills, and active community involvement.