All Pre-Conference Workshops will take place on Wednesday, February 12.
Aligning District-Wide Systems to Promote Personalized Learning and Leadership
8:30am – 3:30pm
When it comes to student leadership, most schools provide students with opportunities to lead. However, these opportunities are almost exclusively given to students who have already proven themselves or were elected by their peers. What happens to the other 98 percent of the student body?
In this session, Sean and Candace will share how one district applied the principles of the Leader in Me framework to transform its culture to create an inclusive climate where all students are empowered to lead and take charge of their own learning. Participants will visit one of California’s leading school districts to see how its systems and processes are aligned to build student agency, ownership, choice, and interpersonal effectiveness. Participants will observe strategies teachers are using to equip learners with the leadership and life skills they need to successfully navigate an ever-changing world.
As a result of this session, participants will develop a keen understanding of how to:
- Foster student empowerment as a major driver of academic results.
- Incorporate leadership development as an ongoing process as opposed to a discrete set of lessons.
- Help students take ownership of their learning by setting and achieving academic and personal goals.
- Create personalized experiences that enable students to influence the workflow of their school and classroom life.
- Establish strengths-based assessments to guide students in identifying and developing their unique talents and gifts.
Sean Covey, New York Times Best Selling Author
Candace Singh, Superintendent, Fallbrook Union Elementary School District
Cementing the School Board-Superintendent Governing Partnership
1 – 5pm
Drawing on his newest K-12 leadership book, Building a High-Impact Board-Superintendent Partnership: 11 Critical Questions You Need to Answer, presenter Doug Eadie will provide pre-conference workshop participants with detailed, practical, thoroughly tested guidance in building their boards’ governing capacity and a high-impact board-superintendent partnership.
Workshop participants will:
- Become familiar with significant recent developments in the rapidly changing field of K-12 governance.
- Learn how the superintendent can become truly “board-savvy” and play the leading role in board development, helping the board to update its governing role, its committee structure, and its self-management capacity.
- Understand how to transform board members into satisfied owners of their governing work through meaningful engagement in such governing processes as strategic and operational planning, budget preparation, and performance monitoring.
- Learn how to engage board members creatively in district image building and stakeholder relations.
- Learn how to keep the board-superintendent working relationship healthy through well-designed guidelines for interaction and communication.
- Master the steps involved in building a close, productive board chair/president-superintendent leadership team.
Doug Eadie, President and CEO, Doug Eadie and Company, Inc., Clearwater, FL
Culture of Love
1 – 5pm
The 2017 New York State Superintendent of the Year, Luvelle Brown, has led a successful school and community transformation effort. Systems thinking and community engagement have led to the implementation of culturally responsive teaching, inclusive practices, and other innovative teaching and learning initiatives. One of the nation’s most inspiring and efficacious stories has been documented in Dr. Brown’s recently released book, “A Culture of Love: Cultivating a Positive and Transformative Organizational Culture”. This interactive and multi-media workshop will explore strategic processes and actions involving self-reflection, conflict, and policy shifts that produce academic achievement for all students.
Luvelle Brown, Superintendent/Authour, Ithaca City School District, Love2Achieve, Ithaca, NY
GiANT Leader Summit
1 – 5pm
The 100X Leader Summit is a transformative experience developed specifically for school leaders who desire take their leadership influence to the next level. On February 12th, participants in the AASA Leader Summit pre-conference will embark on first leg of the 100X Leader journey. The teaching in this half-day event comes directly from The 100X Leader book which launched globally as the best-selling leadership book last spring. The 100X concept is about helping you become a 100% healthy leader who is equipped to multiply secure and healthy leaders across your team and organization. You will be guided through the practice of leveraging visual, interactive tools and a practical methodology grounded in “better practice” of adult learning theory to level up the potential of your success while navigating the complexities that come fully equipped in leading human systems in the public sector. Your pre-conference registration includes exclusive content only offered to AASA pre-conference participants as well as a complimentary copy of the 100X Leader Book published by Wiley.
Joseph Hill, Partner, GiANT Worldwide, St. Paul, MN
The Happiness Advantage | Orange Frog WorkshopTM
1 – 5pm
A positive engaged brain is the greatest competitive advantage in the modern economy. It is ESSENTIAL in rapidly changing environments and is needed in education today more than ever before. The Happiness Advantage | Orange Frog workshop provides a blueprint for increasing staff, faculty, classroom and community engagement as well as tapping into people’s intrinsic motivations.
This experiential workshop teaches the science of sustainable peak performance. The research is clear. Positive environments are performance enhancers. They are characterized by higher productivity, less turnover and absenteeism, and more resilient cultures.
Applying the latest research-based techniques from the field of positive psychology, individuals learn the practices of resilient leaders and learners; they become more adaptable and develop a capacity to “see” more opportunities, leading to better organizational and educational outcomes.
Experience the largest and most successful positive psychology training program for educators to date in the world. Begin an exciting journey leading to more positive environments, interconnected success and better educational outcomes.
Greg Kaiser, President, International Thought Leader Network, Cary, NC